Getting into an accident with a drunk driver can quickly derail your life, especially if your injuries are severe. That’s why many victims end up filing personal injury lawsuits against the driver responsible for the accident. But hiring an experienced Atlanta DUI accident attorney will cost you. Here’s what you can expect to spend when hiring a professional to represent your case.
How Atlanta DUI Accident Attorneys Charge
Atlanta DUI accident attorneys can cost between $1,000 to well over $10,000 depending on the nature of your case and their usual fees. The exact amount you’ll pay will depend on the attorney’s general billing practices, the complexity of your case, the attorney’s experience, and other similar factors. And you can expect to pay for their representation in two main ways:
- Flat fees: Some attorneys charge flat hourly fees for their work on your case. If you hire an attorney that charges a flat fee, you’ll pay for their services by the hour, often as they complete work. For some injured individuals, flat fees can lead to significant financial strain as you’ll have to come up with the money upfront.
- Contingency fees: Attorneys who charge on contingency only get paid when you receive a settlement for your case. Instead of a flat rate, they receive a percentage of your settlement. You won’t have to pay them upfront and will only pay them if they win your case.
Before you choose an attorney, make sure you understand how they’ll charge for their services. This will help you choose the right legal professional for your budget and your case.
Can You Lower Your Costs?
Though it’s highly unlikely that you’ll be able to eliminate your costs entirely, there are things you can do to lower your legal expenses. Here are a few tips to help:
- Consider a settlement: Though it’s tempting to take the driver to court, doing so can be more expensive. Remember, you’ll end up paying for your attorney’s time in the courtroom. By settling with the driver out of court or through a shorter court hearing, you could end up saving money.
- Compare your options: Attorneys all tend to charge different rates. That’s why it’s so important that you compare your options carefully. Speak with several attorneys and find out how and how much they charge for their services. This way, you can choose an attorney that fits your budget.
- Try to negotiate: Believe it or not, many attorneys’ fees aren’t set in stone. You may be able to negotiate a lower fee based on your situation. Be open about your concerns and your budget when speaking with an attorney. Ask if they’d be willing to offer lower fees for their services. You may find an attorney that’s willing to offer significantly lower fees than they would normally charge.
Price Shouldn’t Keep You From Getting Great Representation
High-cost legal fees shouldn’t keep you from working with an attorney who has your best interests in mind. Attorney Steven Jones is willing to match a lower rate if another attorney offers to represent you at a lower price. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation and see the difference that an experienced Atlanta DUI accident attorney can make in your case.